Sunday, June 27, 2010

vacation, day two...

this was a loooooooonnnnnnnnng drive.  partially because of actual mileage, and partially because we had to stop 52 different times...either to go potty, get a snack, stretch our legs....the day seemed endless...but it has ended.  thank the lord.  here are some highlights.


This picture is in front of LL Bean in Freeport.  We got a little turned around in Portland, so it took us a little extra time to get on the road, and they were already a little mental by the time we hit Freeport, so I used it as an excuse to go. 
In the previous post, you saw the picture I sent from my phone, because at that point (I can't remember exactly where we were) they were SUPER mental, and I made them run laps around the car and do jumping jacks.  Finally, we made it into Machias, and we went straight to do what would be the least fun event of the trip.  We went straight out to the cemetary that my parents are buried in...so here's a shout out to Jack and Edna.  I miss you always.  Now, at the exact same time, I have to give a shout out to the very same crazy kids that I was mentioning before, because as I sat next to this very gravestone, they sat with me and held my hand and rubbed my back as I cried.  A wise friend I have told me that this trip might make me stronger than I ever could have known, and maybe that's true, but I thank my lucky stars they were with me.  So to my crazies...I love you.  (these next pictures are from the long ride up, when they were a little punchy)


Next order of business...Jasper Beach.  Had to drive by the old house, and to say that its in ruins would be an understatement.  Even my old apple tree is gone.  Losers.  But, I digress....Jasper Beach. 


We kept driving down that road, because I wanted to see if we could get to Starboard, but it sort of looked like someone's yard, so we turned around, but got this shot...Ave took it.

Cool shot, huh?

Then on the way back, we stopped at Fort O'Brien...Google it and you can see the historical significance in a war or two, I believe...

And last but not least for today, this last shot is outside our hotel.  We had a lovely dinner at Helen's complete with fish and chips and pie.  Hooray.  More tomorrow....

1 comment:

The Other Athens said...

Oh, wow, Penny. Someday I'll take my kids to Machias. Our old house was for sale a couple of years ago (for 10 times what my parents paid for it!) and looked well-kept, except all the trees in front were gone (Dutch Elm disease I think.)
-Phoebe